Quantcast
Sports

Doug Robinson: Steve Young is scrambling again after interview

Comments

Return To Article
  • london_josh lincoln, CA
    Feb. 17, 2017 2:04 p.m.

After years of learning how to dissect the game in a way that made him an NFL MVP and got those Super Bowl rings on his fingers he can call it in when he needs to.

It's not about lack of preparation but rather so much preparation that he no longer needs a long study on it.

He's super smart, huge fund he manages, a law degree, it's a ridiculous story.

Would you rather have the dunce who's never played and needs to study?

This is a non-story - Donald the Trump would call this a "yuge fake news story" and that's all it is.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 1:07 p.m.

football is way over analyzed. ESPN get's really tiresome after an hour. Get up off the couch, put the beer and pretzels away and do something fun/physial outside. I shut off the NFL this year and haven't missed it a bit!!

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 11:02 a.m.

Talk about a non-story -- except for reporters who are jealous of jocks.

"If TV really wanted someone who could report on the game, they’d hire, you know, reporters."

Seems like Doug's feelings are hurt.

Steve Young has forgotten more football than any "reporter" will ever know. Bob Costas is a "reporter," and I turn the channel everytime that blowhard is on the screen. Steve can accomplish more in an hour or two of prep than a "reporter" could accomplish in days.

A football game last more than 3 hours. In the superbowl there was 139 plays. If each play lasted 10 seconds (they don't), that would be 23 minutes of action -- that means about 1/8th of the time is action. I'm pretty sure Steve can schmooze and watch at the same time.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2017 9:30 a.m.

Does it help to know that he has a photographic memory as well.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 9:05 a.m.

I'm a Ute fan but I don't see how this story should affect me one way or the other. I personally think Steve Young does just fine with his announcing duties and the inside picture on how much prep and even actual game watching he does doesn't change that nor does it surprise me regarding he or any other announcers. I think Doug's criteria pretty much nails it. Young simply should have kept a bit more tight lipped about his prep time and how he juggles his other business and intertwines it with his football related activities. But even then, I don't really care.

• Jello is Good ,
    Feb. 17, 2017 8:33 a.m.

@Laxman - taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 8:18 a.m.

"It's amazing how many fans of the TDS, are trying to rescue Steve Young. Face it. He said it and now he has to face the criticism. He said it so own it."

I think it's cute using "TDS" to refer to your big brother but that coach is in Ohio now.

We are not trying to "rescue" Young as he is fully capable of handling his own business, we are simply offering our opinion.

Do you actually think the network decision makers are looking to this comment board for advice? Now that's amazing!

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 8:18 a.m.

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 6:57 a.m.

Every media guy except Greg Wrubell is like, "Wow, good prep time, way to go Steve."

• Squirtle ,
    Feb. 17, 2017 6:42 a.m.

I find Adam Sandler hilarious. I wouldn't find him less funny if I found out he never memorizes his line or researches his character. He gives a performance and If I am entertained, I continue to watch. If not, I turn the channel.

Enjoy Lefty for who he is, or turn the channel.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 5:56 a.m.

A blonde Young? Appearance is everything on TV.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:38 p.m.

If my memory serves me right, I believe Chris, a.k.a., "Boomer", Burman was also an entertainer on this gig, "going all the way"!

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 9:12 p.m.

One of the great Doug Robinson pieces. I agree with both Doug and Young. I don't really care how much time he spends preparing, he does a great job. He's entertaining, intelligent and positive - all attributes I would recommend to the above BYU haters. Steve seems to have a real balanced life. I think it's kind of funny that his kids don't care about football.

• tyroneweaver Burley, ID
    Feb. 16, 2017 8:59 p.m.

At any rate I like Young. I think he's very articulate.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 16, 2017 6:10 p.m.

81Ute

Sadly for our jealous friends on the hill, there simply aren't any former Utes that can answer all of the questions affirmatively, especially #2 through #5:

1) If you walk through a mall, would people recognize you?

2) Have you ever been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

3) Have you ever had a jersey retired?

4) Are there any Super Bowl rings on your fingers?

5) On your rÉsumÉ, is there any mention of MVP, GOAT or All-Pro … anything like that?

6) When it comes to looks, would you say you are more George Clooney than Danny DeVito?

7) Can you talk — in coherent sentences (not critical, but helpful)?

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 6:07 p.m.

Young is smart, glib and has enough football knowledge to fill a hundred pregame and halftime shows.

The fact that he spends an hour or two each week in preparation is likely motivated more by duty than necessity.

• Gone for good Burley, ID
    Feb. 16, 2017 5:17 p.m.

@81
    I'll never understand the joy in reading and commenting on a team and people you personally don't like. I don't have the time. BYU has,, besides basketball, baseball, softball,, tennis, track and field, gymnastics, men's volleyball, golf, swimming and diving and they are pretty darn good at all of them. Don't have time to worry about the largely lack luster utes or especially their past players.

• DanB Portland, OR
    Feb. 16, 2017 4:56 p.m.

Too many concussions!

• Johnny Triumph Ibapah, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 4:32 p.m.

Maybe he's just a complete expert on the subject...I take much less time doing things that I'm very good at. And if I figure out shortcuts to do it quicker with the same quality then I'd be foolish to not take those shortcuts.

For those haters out there please examine your own situations and you'll see that we all are just like Steve Young. He just happens to meet more of Robinson's job criteria than the rest of us.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:56 p.m.

@ 81Ute, this really isn't about BYU apologists. It's really about a non-story about a an activity that is just a sport, a game, entertainment. That people are taking it so seriously is what is absurd.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:47 p.m.

I really don't care how much they prepare. They are not reporters. They are entertainers.

And, ESPN College Game Day is much more entertaining anyway.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:45 p.m.

Scooped again by the Tribune's Pierce. Where have you been?

• 81Ute Central, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:31 p.m.

A byu apologists comes running to the football hero's defense...I must be on deseretnews.com